I don’t know about you, but I get tired of paying $9-$10 bucks a drink at bars. I though hey I’m going to start mixing my own drinks at home and I thought I would share with you how to mix cocktails like a pro bartender!
Tossing a party or entertaining dinner guests is a heck of a lot more fun when you can brighten the occasion with homemade cocktails. So here are a few simple steps to mixing like you have been for years.
Step 1: Get yourself some supplies!
You can find good bar supplies at most department stores. Don’t go crazy on top of the line stuff, just get good stuff that will last you a while and if you like doing it you can always go back and get better stuff down the road. Here are the bare essentials you will need:
Jigger (measuring cup that measures ounces)
Step 2: Find what you want to make!
There are more than enough recipes on the internet, but my favorite thing to do is ask your bartender for the recipe of your favorite drink! They are usually more than happy to help you out! If you want to try something new and make your own drink, here is an almost fail safe way to make any recipe taste great!
- Fill your shaker with 1 ¼ ounce of liquor per drink
- Add 4 ounces of mixers per mixed drink (if you’re doing juice DON’T CHEAP OUT! Fresh Juice will completely change the flavor of your drink and make it WAY better
- Put your cap on the shaker and shake the hell out of it!
- For “up” drinks and martinis, strain the drink into a glass
- For “rocks” drinks, pour the entire drink into a glass unstrained
Step 3: Make your drink look good!
The most important part to making drinks at home is garnishing them so they come out looking professional. (When making yourself a drink, skip this and get right to the drinking!)
Here are the most popular garnishes to keep around,
- Lime wheel or wedges
- Lemon wheel or wedges
- Gibson onions
- Salt for rim (good tip here, rub lemon or lime wedge around the rim of the glass to help the salt stick)
- Sugar for rim
Now the best part of making your own drinks! Drink it!